Friday, February 17, 2012

A really great attitude...

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -- unknown

After having his mommy read "The Little Engine That Could" to him dozens of times, my 2 year old grandson, loved to repeat certain lines in the book. From "All aboard!" to "Chug-Chug-Chug-Chug....Choooo!  Chooo!"  (He was genuinely excited about the book and  still loves trains!)


One evening my daughter called me with a story about him repeating lines from the book that really caused me to think about the origins of a positive attitude.  It seems she was pushing him toward the park in their jogging stroller and as she was jogging behind the stroller and came to a hill, she slowed down to a walk to push the stroller up the incline.  As she slowed and was leaning into the stroller to push harder, she heard him repeating, "I think I can!  I think I can! I think I can!"


His positive attitude, and the fact that he was leaning forward in the stroller, was the only way he knew to say, "I'm with you, Mommy!  We can do this!"


In the mind of that 2-year old the only thing needed to achieve the goal of getting to the park at the top of the hill was the attitude of the little train engine who talked himself into making it over the mountain to deliver toys to the good little girls and boys!


I've often wondered how different life would be, if at every difficult passage, and every uphill battle, our first response could be, "I think I can!  I think I can!"


Blessings!


Sharon



No comments:

Post a Comment