Monday, March 26, 2012

Everyone needs one.....

"I always feel smarter after talking to Carter."
-- Me


Who do you think of when you think of the word "mentor"? 


A successful business man...an inspiring teacher...a true statesman...an inspiring leader... a family matriarch who is the fountain of family wisdom?


In Homer's The Odyssey, we see the  first use of the word "mentor" and it was actually the name of a man who was a "teacher" and "overseer" of Odysseus' son, Telemachus.     In The Odyssey, Mentor was a trusted friend and counselor...someone whose experience and success gave credence to his ability to teach.


Over the years, having a mentor has evolved into something deemed necessary for success in business, education, entertainment or virtually any other career.  Mentoring programs are commonplace because over the years it's been proven that a good way to learn how to do the thing that needs doing is to learn from someone who has done it before!


Years ago, I had a chance to begin watching  a man by the name of Carter Ward lead Missouri School Boards Association (MSBA)  as its Executive Director.  I began attending MSBA meetings as a locally elected school board member and through a desire to serve at a different level and an interest in working with the leaders of the association, I worked my way up to become one of four statewide elected officers of the association and was able to work closely with Dr. Ward and his staff.


One thing I have always admired about Dr. Ward is  his uncanny ability to find the right direction for Missouri School Boards Association.  I've always heard that managers do things right and leaders do the right things -- that statement seems to apply to virtually all the efforts of the association under his guidance. 



Throughout the years I have watched him set an example of leadership rivaled by none.  Whether it was through a difficult situation that required wisdom and discernment or a celebratory moment when it was time to simply enjoy a mission accomplished, I have watched him lead - not manage -- but truly lead our association.


As a result of his professional success,  inspirational advice, and his attitude of humble, servant leadership, I, and many others  have turned to Dr. Ward for guidance -- viewing him as mentor, colleague,  and friend.


As I embarked on a career as an executive director of a non-profit association, I found I relied heavily on the wise counsel and good advice of several leaders involved in the business, but when the time came for a difficult decision, or I found myself facing a monumental task, I found myself making a  call to this very wise mentor of mine.


As  time went on, I found that when tempted to let emotions like disappointment, fear, or even anger unduly influence a decision, I would always think back to a conversation I had with this trusted mentor late one evening as I worked into the night, struggling with a difficult decision.  


I had faced some rather overwhelming issues for a period of time and placed a call to Dr. Ward and left a somewhat desperate sounding voice message telling him I felt I had arrived at a  point where I simply did not know what to do!  


He returned my call, and after hearing me out, and listening to a very detailed description of the dilemma I felt I was facing, he said to me, very simply, "Sharon, I know you, and I know that you know what you're doing.  All you need to do is think it through, decide what's right, and do it!  There is never a wrong time to do the right thing!"


Think of that!  What if everyone of us ascribed to that simple, yet powerful idea?  


"There is never a wrong time to do the right thing!"


As you are faced with decisions in your personal and professional life, I challenge you to take the words of my trusted mentor to heart and find the right thing -- then do it!


Blessings,


Sharon



2 comments:

  1. Love it! This is a great post! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, Vern! Maybe someday I can introduce you to Dr. Ward! He would love your story!

    ReplyDelete