Thursday, March 29, 2012

Whose job is it?

The wise man must remember that while he is a descendant of the past, 
he is a "parent" of the future.
Herbert Spencer

With so much political news everywhere we turn, it's hard not to think about upcoming elections -- from local school board elections that will happen very soon to the "Big One" in the fall, we all have a duty to vote.  


However, with  that duty comes a responsibility to know the candidates, what they stand for, and where their major support lies throughout the community, state or nation.


When I think of our responsibility to find and vote for the best candidate for each office, I am reminded of a particularly balmy evening, several years ago, when I was with friends visiting the various national memorials in Potomac Park in Washington, D.C.


Early in the evening, my friends and I stood  in front of the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial Wall and I was moved to tears as a very dear friend of mine told me that on an earlier trip to D.C., her  young son stood and read the names of the soldiers lost in that war while listening to the sounds of the running water.  After a conversation with  her, and after listening to her description of the purpose of The Wall, he acknowledged his belief that the running waters in front of that memorial were symbolic of the tears shed for all those lost in the war. 


For one so young, he had an amazing grasp on the reality of the actual purpose of that memorial!


As the evening progressed, we walked by all the national memorials, stopping to remember family members and friends who had served and died in various wars....I will never forget the moment we stood in front of one particular statue at the Korean War Memorial that seemed to be a true artist's perception of the way my own father would have looked as he trudged into battle wearing his rain gear, wielding a combat rifle, ready to die for his country.


Later, during our continuing  tour of the park, I  found myself all alone in the Jefferson Memorial. As I looked around that beautiful hall, I was taken aback by the fact that in this busy city, surrounded by all the visitors to the park, including the group I was with, I stood alone. It was as if that moment in time was meant especially for me.  It seemed I could sense there was a purpose for my chance to have that time to absorb the immense greatness of the place I stood!


In the dim light of that memorial, I found myself studying the words of the inscriptions engraved upon the walls and under the dome of this beautiful monument...Words that had been penned by Thomas Jefferson during the birth of our nation. 


"...And for the support of this declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine providence, we mutually pledge our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." 


During those quiet moments when I was literally alone with my thoughts, I  found myself coming to a point in time that some would call a "crisis of belief" where I had to stop and ask myself, "Who am I that I should do anything but serve in this great nation when so many have given so much more than I will ever be asked to give?"


Later, as I left the memorial and was visiting with my friends and colleagues who were visiting the park with our group that night, I was moved to tears to know that I was in the company of friends who felt, as I did, that we each have a responsibility to our children -- to our future -- to work diligently to stand for the good, the true, and the beautiful things life  has to offer.


That evening was the culmination of a thought process I had been reflecting on for many months. Because of  those moments of reverence and awe spent remembering those who have blazed the path for us,  I know  I left the beauty and reverence of Potomac Park that evening forever changed. 


I left  knowing that I would always feel a sense of pride and reverence for every military man or woman, as well as every public servant elected to represent the people of our great nation.


That said, I ask that you not consider time spent as an advocate for children, education and the well-being of our young people as "working for kids" -- rather, I ask that you consider  time spent on behalf of our children as an "investment"  in the future of our nation and in  better things to come for those who follow us.


I challenge you to find a cause that is beneficial for children and do what you can to further that mission!  I challenge you to do it now...you're already online reading this blog!  Google it! 


Look for a cause you're comfortable with that encourages or supports our kids and their education or well-being and get involved!


We truly are the "parents" of the future! 


Blessings to you and to your cause!


Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment