Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Let the words of my mouth.....

Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff and nudge me when I've said enough!
--unknown


I had to LOL when I saw this on a church sign on Grand Avenue the other day!  It's plain and simple language, maybe even a little irreverent, but it certainly provides food for thought!


I've often thought it would be much nicer if we all worked diligently on saying things that are true, helpful and encouraging!  Of course, there are times when the truth is painful, and can seem very negative, but what if every painful word spoken was  followed by a kind word? 


And, wouldn't it be great if the good Lord would give us a little "nudge" when that moment arrives that nothing else should be said? I have a very good friend who uses the acronym W.A.I.T. when he's involved in conversations with certain people, or in certain meetings.  


It stands for Why Am I Talking?  


Occasionally, I catch  myself rambling a bit and sounding a little wordy.  At those times, I've found it helps  to think of that simple little reminder -- W.A.I.T.!  


It gives others a chance to be more engaged in the conversation, and more importantly, it gives me a chance to settle in and be a good listener!


The next time you're in a class discussion, meeting, or just a friendly conversation give some consideration to the amount of time spent talking vs. listening.  And, as you focus on that, think about measuring your own words against my friend's advice!


Blessings!


Sharon



No comments:

Post a Comment